Job Location2442 Track A Plantation Providence EBD
Vision: To be effective as a counselor when providing counselling, training and personal development opportunities to students and staff, and so assist them to find their full academic and/or working potential.
Counsellors work in a confidential setting and listen attentively to their students and staffs. They offer them the time, empathy and respect they need to express their feelings and perhaps understand themselves from a different perspective.
The aim is reduce their confusion and enable them to cope with challenges or to make positive changes in their life where necessary.
Counsellors do not give advice, but help students and staffs to make their own choices within the framework of an agreed counselling contract.
This position is responsible for assisting the Student Affairs Department and will be reporting to the Dean Students affairs in mediating on all matters
Qualification: Bsc / M.Sc. / Ph.D.
Minimum 2-5 years of experience.
- establishing a relationship of trust and respect with students and staffs;
- agreeing a counselling contract to determine what will be covered in sessions (including confidentiality issues);
- encouraging clients to talk about issues they feel they cannot normally share with others;
- actively listening to client concerns and empathizing with their position;
- accepting without bias the issues raised by clients;
- helping clients towards a deeper understanding of their concerns;
- challenging any inconsistencies in what clients say or do;
- helping clients to make decisions and choices regarding possible ways forward;
- referring clients to other sources of help, as appropriate;
- attending supervision and training courses;
- undertaking personal therapy (mandatory for accreditation);
- liaising, as necessary, with other agencies and individuals to help make changes based on the issues raised by clients;
- working to agreed targets in relation to client contact;
- undertaking group as well as individual therapy on occasions;
- Keeping records and using reporting tools.
- Conducts scheduled counseling sessions with each first-year student for the purpose of monitoring progress toward individual goal achievement.
- Plans and implements life and study skill workshops and special orientation sessions to enhance student's university experience.
- Creates and distributes a range of resource and promotional materials designed
- Prepares reports and proposals and responds to inquiries from students and external agencies.
- Plans, organizes and implements personal solicitations to ensure optimum participation in academic motivational programs
- Responds to inquiries and investigates and resolves problems related to transactions handled by the department; serves as liaison with other departments or units in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational issues.
Will be discussed at the interview
Interested and Qualified Aspirants, send CV to Roshinie.firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
Texila American University
Lot 2442, Plantation Providence, East Bank Demerara, Guyana
Telephone # 592-265-7651 / 265-7652 / 265-7650
You may alternatively apply for this job online with your SkilledGuyanese profile.
Your application will be emailed to the employer immediately.
Then, the employer will be able to view your application on our website.
A JOB BY