Deputy Sub-Regional Coordinator for the Caribbean and Head of Office
Job LocationGeorgetown, Guyana
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director (RD) for North and Central America and the Caribbean in San Jose, Costa Rica and direct supervision of the Sub-Regional Coordinator for the Caribbean, the candidate will be IOM's principal interlocutor with the Government of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana and relevant diplomatic and UN representatives, local and international NGOs as well as the private sector.
The Head of Office will be responsible and accountable for developing and promoting IOM's strategy and programming in Guyana within the framework of the overall Regional Strategy.
In addition, s/he will be responsible for keeping the Sub-Regional Coordinator for the Caribbean and the Regional Office (RO) in San Jose informed of relevant governmental concerns and programmatic developments. S/he will also be responsible for developing new projects and programmes in the country, for planning the development and implementation of the Organization's activities in Guyana and for managing the related budgetary, financial and administrative functions of the Country Office.
Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Humanities, Law, International Relations, Community and Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven supervisory and managerial experience;
- Experience in humanitarian and development programmes for migrants and capacity-building activities on migration;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
- Familiarity with financial and business administration;
- Sound and proven understanding of internal and international migration issues in the sub-region and related issues;
- Experience in development, implementation, analysis and evaluation of programs and protocols; team leading and program management including budget planning and monitoring;
- Experience working in the Caribbean region is an asset;
- Knowledge of migration in the Caribbean is an asset; and,
- Previous experience working with IOM and with UN specialized agencies is an advantage.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming opportunities and requirements; and,
- Knowledge of IOM financial rules and regulations.
- In coordination with the relevant Units/Regional Thematic Specialists (RTS) in the Regional Office in San Jose, facilitate and provide programme management support for the Country Office’s programmes and projects.
- Develop and manage new project opportunities in close coordination with relevant stakeholders in areas of concern to the Government and design fundraising strategies to address such issues.
- Provide technical guidance to the government-related institutions to fulfil their roles through coordinated actions with other humanitarian actors and assure that all affected people have access to assistance in the aftermath of any emergency and facilitate emergency preparedness and response.
- Prepare briefings and background information on policy and/or programmatic matters related to the work of IOM in the Caribbean as well as on Sub-Regional political situations or migration policies or trends.
- Assist the Sub-Regional Coordinator for the Caribbean in strengthening cooperation and liaison with relevant Sub-Regional bodies in the Caribbean by supporting Country Offices in their work with their respective national and regional counterparts.
- Manage and monitor the implementation of IOM's programmes in Guyana and recommend measures for improvement. Supervise the related budgetary, financial and administrative functions of the Country Office in accordance with the Organization's regulations and procedures. Be responsible for recruitment and capacity building of local staff.
- Maintain and further develop liaison and close working relationships with national and local governmental authorities, diplomatic missions, UN agencies, regional, non-governmental and international organizations, as well as donors and the media.
- In coordination with the Regional Office in San Jose, develop public relations and media activities in order to promote IOM’s image and programmes in Guyana and the Caribbean.
- Perform such other duties as maybe assigned by the position’s supervisor.
1. Resume and Cover letter/ Motivational Letter should be submitted to email@example.com clearly indicate the name the of position in the subject line.
2. Take time to read about IOM, our values, our work, and our culture before sending your application.
3. Application deadline is 4 July 2022. Applications after the deadline will not be considered.
4. Hand-delivered applications will not be given special consideration over the ones sent electronically.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted due to the large volume of applications that are usually received.
We thank you for your interest in IOM and looking forward to receiving your application.
You may alternatively apply for this job online with your SkilledGuyanese profile.
Your application will be emailed to the employer immediately.
Then, the employer will be able to view your application on our website.
A JOB BY