The main role/responsibility of the HSEQ Officer is protecting the health, safety, and welfare of employees’ in the workplace. They will be responsible for ensuring that the business adheres to all applicable health and safety regulations, ensuring compliance, and enforces zero harm/loss whilst providing support to employees and management to monitor and maintain a safe workplace.
BSc. Environmental Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health, Risk Management or Safety Management
Experience 2-3 years in the field
Or Associates of Science Degree in the above disciplines
Experience 3-4 years
Trained First Aider or currently undergoing training.
1. Implements coordinates and ensures compliance in the health safety environment and quality systems and programs of the group of companies.
2. Establishes relationships with internal departments, external clients’ agencies contractors and stakeholders to ensure the HSEMS and the FSMS are executed in accordance with legislation manuals, standards, and guidelines. Arranges for quality testing and/or evaluations of the workplace by external agencies.
3. Attributes to Giftland Group of Companies operations in the preparation of SOPs, Permits, JSA ,Risk Assessments Work plan PTW and Safety Toolbox talks. Conducts inspections throughout the company in a manner consistent with regulatory standards and guidelines. May exercise emergency authority to prevent or stop unsafe acts when immediate action is required.
4. Ensures the accuracy of record keeping, adequate knowledge of ICT applications in storage and retrieval of HSEQ information. Determines and ensures that Licenses, Permits and or Registrations are acquired by the Company as appropriate.
5. Performs routine Risk assessments, Job Hazard Analysis on the work site with jobs, tools equipment/machinery and acts by employees within the workplace whilst ensuring that a risk register, and all other registers are maintained.
6. Ability to recognize hazards and unsafe conditions and show steps on how to deal with them.
7. Provides advice to the Manager/Management on health safety environment and quality matters including food safety and hygiene. Participates in planning meetings to identify any health and safety concerns inherent to the operations daily work-plan.
8. Conducts HSEQ inspection and prepares risk assessments, accident reports and communicates detailed information which addresses the scope of Giftland Group of Companies: oversees installations, maintenance, disposal of any hazardous substances.
9. Assists in the monitoring/maintaining the HSEQ performance based on KPIs/audits, observations inspections citing non-conformances, identifying hazards and taking corrective action on same.
10. Providesrecommendations based on regulatory practices, knowledge of legislation and standards which are requirements.
11. Assists in designing training programs consistent with HSEQ/FSMS standards.
12. Conducts safety and food hygiene talks on activities that relate to the HSEQ.
13. Records/conducts incident investigation by identifying root causes as per good HSEQ practices and giving recommendations that will be used in prevention of incidents.
14. Demonstrates the ability in problem–solving and decision making when it comes to safety, by assessing sound safety – related problems and providing recommendations based on findings.
15. Assists in the preparation and implementation of Site Safety and Health Plan (SSHP) for the company.